This recipe is from paleodietlifestyle.com a great reference for paleo diet recipes that are quite tasty. I tried this back in November, before the holidays, and while I didn't follow the diet outright (a world without cheese and carbs quite frankly isn't a world worth living in my opinion!) but I did significantly reduce my cheese and carb intake and lost 5 pounds. Keep in mind this was before the holidays and those 5 pound have found their ways back onto the scale. Persistent little buggers.
Not only was this dish delightfully delicious and flavorful it was a one pan meal. One pan = very few dishes. Hallelujah.
The prep time was the hardest, there's a lot of cutting involved, but after surviving that cooking was a breeze.
Olive, Garlic and Lemon Chicken:
Adapted from: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/olive-garlic-lemon-chicken/
- 1/8 cup coconut oil (butter, ghee, tallow or poultry fat work as well )
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives (you don't want small bits but instead of cutting each olive in half just roughly chopping them will do)
- 4 chicken breasts (thighs can be used too)
- 3 cups onion (basically 3 onions chopped)
- 30 cloves of garlic (I put them through my garlic press, and didn't use 30 cloves and I love garlic, but a lot of garlic)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 whole lemons thickly sliced with seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp thyme (vary for your taste)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Heat up a large oven safe pan on the stove, about medium heat. Once hot melt 1/8 cup coconut oil in pan. Add chicken and brown about 6 minutes total. Remove chicken and set aside (leave oil in pan).
- Add onions to pan and cook until soft, about 3 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for about a minute. You can add salt and pepper at this point.
- Return chicken to pan and add chicken stock, thyme, lemon juice
- Bring to a simmer and cover. Put covered pan in 350 F oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, add kalamata olives and lemon slices. Bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve! Makes great left overs as well.