Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hang Ups

art, wall decor, decor, frames, skeleton keys,
As discussed in my previous post I had my reservations about starting my picture wall. I wasn't sure what to hang, how to arrange it and how it was going to look. I knew I wanted to use black frames, that's what I have the most of and personally I think it looks the classiest/sharpest, and I loved the idea of having items framed or showcased instead of all pictures. Well along came my saving grace! Jillian's beautiful skeleton key art piece kicked my butt into high gear and my wall was started.



Now I'm of the eyeball and hang variety so once this was hung (on the hook stuck in the wall from the previous owners...really have no idea what they did to it to make it impossible to remove) I just started grabbing things that I had framed, that I wasn't sure where else to put and I wanted to display in some way and went to town! Next came a trio of pictures that our good friend Samie Taitano took for her portfolio (she's a fantastic photographer and starting up her photography business...click on her name link to find her on facebook!! And then hire her! :-).


They are not engagement shots, I promise! We took them down at the Seattle Sculpture Park which is a fantastic location for photos, so much texture and variety. So lets talk the frame. Love the frame. And love where I got it. Aaron Brothers. They do a, I think its about twice a year, framing sale where you buy one frame and the second frame is a penny. A PENNY. Even with that I went near broke on frames last July. They just had another one in January which I so unfortunately missed. Do I bought two of said frame above. And many more that you will be seeing later.



Then went up my map of Greece. My sophomore year in college I did a study abroad there and fell head over heels in love with Greece. Amazing country, I can't wait to go back. My grandma had some old map books and I snagged the Greece page and then found the perfect frame laying around...don't you just love when that happens?!























Now there's a little known fact that I have a thing for skeleton keys. A mild obsession, no big deal. And it started with this beauty.


It's from Pier 1 and I've had it forever.  I love it. So knowing this Michael's darling sister gave us a super thoughtful lovely house warming gift that her friend created.


So sweet. A few other things that I put on the wall to display are a boomerang that Jillian got me from her study abroad in Australia







And a painting my great-grandmother did









And the final product! I love it, and am definitely not opposed to expanding it. I already have a few ideas of things I want to hang. The picture in the upper right hand corner is one of my mom when she was about 4 or 5 years old.





Tomorrow I'll put together a tutorial and review of tissue paper poms that I made for Jillian's bridal shower! Bet you can't wait :-)!

No comments:

Post a Comment