The first time I made this I did it as a freeze ahead recipe, threw everything into a ziplock gallon bag (I double bagged it) and put it in the freezer. I actually preferred it from the freezer than the "normal" way because the chicken was more flavorful I felt since it was sitting in the "soup" rather than sitting on top of it.
Mexican Crock Pot Chicken
Adapted from Skinny Mom
- 1 16 oz jar salsa
- 3-4 large chicken breasts
- 1 14 oz jar diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 15 oz can reduced sodium black bans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 8 oz bag frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp jalapeno peppers
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine salsa, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne, pepper, chili powder, and jalapenos in the crock pot.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and submerge into mixture but try and not have the chicken touching the bottom of the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Serve with tortilla chips or crisped flour or corn tortillas.
As you can see I added the cilantro on top instead of in the crock pot. This is because I forgot to put it in the crock pot but also because I ADORE fresh cilantro. So good.
Nutrition Info Per Serving (without rice): Calories: 195, Fat: 1.5g, Fiber: 5g, Carbs: 25g, Protein: 22g
I've made a pact with myself that I'm going to start planning out our dinners at the beginning of the week and not only try and use ingredients we already have but go to the store only once. Crossing my fingers. I did this a year or so ago and it went well for a while but then life got in the way, sad excuse but I'm using it! So far its going quite well, rather proud of myself. That said it is only Tuesday. But again, I'm taking it :-). Here is our week's dinners:
Monday was this recipe, with left overs for lunch today.
Tuesday : Beer lime grilled chicken
Wednesday : Cilantro Lime crock pot chicken
Thursday : breaded pork chops.
Blogs will (hopefully!) be posted on whether these recipes are deemed fabulous or not!
What are your favorite week day meals? Do you like the quick and easy ones or more elaborate dishes? Do you plan ahead or fly by the seat of your pants when you walk in the door from work?