Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crock Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken


See? I told you I wasn't kidding about the cilantro! Well success story of the week for me, not only did I make meals with minimal dishes and prep time but also  used the whole bushel of cilantro. Gold star!

And yes the week is ending on Thursday for me, tonight and tomorrow we've got plans that didn't involve me cooking. Hallelujah.

This dish I prepped the night before and put in the fridge in a snap container (love them) but you could definitely use this as a freezer meal as well.

Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken
 Adapted from Pip & Ebby
Look familiar?
Paste mixture
 Ingredients: 
  • One 24-ounce jar medium or mild salsa
  • Juice from one lime, ~ 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • One 1.25-oz. package taco seasoning
  • Jalapeno's: 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped or a few jarred jalapeno slices(optional)
  • 4 chicken breasts 
  • Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Directions:  
  1. Mix together salsa, lime juice, taco seasoning and jalapenos in crock pot
  2. submerge chicken in mixture in crock pot. 
  3. Cook on low for 10 hours (at least that's what I did)
In crock pot

Pip & Ebby's website, where I got the original recipe from, said to cook on low for 6 hours. Now I don't know if my crock pot is super different but mine doesn't have a low for 6 hours option. 


So I cooked it on low for 10 hours cause I didn't want it to be sitting on warm for 3 hours by the time we got home and were ready to eat if I had done it for 8 hours on low. Although thinking about it that's what I might try next time. It turned out a little soupy again, which was still tasty but not what I was going for. Maybe I'll try a little less salsa. 

We just ate it in a bowl with some tortilla chips but it would also make a really good taco filling. Overall I think I'll go ahead and give this a fabulous stamp of approval!

Any fun plans coming up this weekend?




















No comments:

Post a Comment